Military Members and Their Dogs, We Salute You!
Dogs on Deployment is a national non-profit which provides a network for military members to search for volunteers willing to board their pets during their service commitments.
At Dogs on Deployment, we aim to promote responsible, lifelong pet ownership within the military-pet community. One way we spotlight this goal is by hosting our annual Military Pet of the Year competition where our winner will be the Dogs on Deployment Mascot for one year, signifying their military owner’s commitment to a healthy, engaged lifestyle with their pet.
Military Pet Owners, Here is Your Chance
Attention military pet owners – your dog could be the next “Military Pet of the Year” mascot! The Dogs on Deployment annual Military Pet of the Year (MPOTY) competition has begun. During the annual MPOTY event, military members are invited to proudly show off their pets along with the rest of their families.
Does your dog have what it takes to be named the 2017 Military Pet of the Year?
Check out the contest timeline below!
SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY:
1/15 at 7:00 am through 1/29 at 7:00 pm
VOTING IS OPEN:
2/5 at 7:00 am through 2/19 at 7:00 pm
2/20 at 7:00 am through 2/28 at 7:00 pm
3/1 at 12:00 pm
(All times are EST.)
The MPOTY 2017 Application and Contest Entry Process
Your application must include:
- Documentation proving military status
- Basic information
- A photo to be used for the contest, and
- 500 written words on why your dog should be chosen as Dogs on Deployment’s 2016 Military Pet of the Year and Mascot. This essay will be used as a caption for your dog’s photo during voting.
Examples of topics for your essay are:
- How did you get the dog in the first place?
- What are some difficulties you’ve had caring for the dog along with your service commitments?
- Any illness/accidents your dog has overcome?
- How do you exhibit being a responsible pet owner in the military, etc.?
Your entry will be reviewed by the Dogs on Deployment Board to ensure compliance with the contest entry requirements listed below. Any entry not meeting these requirements will be disqualified from the competition. Submit your entries beginning January 15th at 7 am EST; they may be submitted until January 29st at 7 pm EST, at which time the contest is closed to any and all submissions.
Voting begins February 5th at 7 am EST, and closes on February 19th at 7 pm EST. During this time, each person is allowed one vote within a 24-hour period.
The Dogs on Deployment Board of Trustees will then pick the winner from the top three finalists receiving the highest amounts of popular votes. The winner is announced on March 1st at 12 pm EST.
MPOTY Contest Entry Requirements and Code Overview
Entry and Photo Requirements
- Dogs only
- May be any adult breed dog (over 1-year-old)
- Dog must be spayed or neutered unless involved with responsible dog showing or breeding
- Dog must be owned by an active duty or reservist military member or honorably discharged veteran
- Dog must be a family pet whose owner meets our “Code of a Military Pet Owner” (see below)
- Photo must be high resolution; prefer no phone photos, +200dpi, larger than 1200px x 1200px print quality
- Portrait or candid style photo of military owned dog
- No more than two dogs may be shown in the photo for a single entry
- No humans allowed in photo
- Professional photographs preferred
- Photo must be original to owner
- Photo permissions must be given to Dogs on Deployment for reuse
- Contestants may not pay for votes, or use online pay-advertising to promote voting
- Winners must be willing to be photographed in uniform with your dog for Dogs on Deployment imagery
- Winners must be willing to maintain a Facebook page for Dogs on Deployment’s 2016 Military Pet of the Year and Mascot for one year
- Winners must be willing to attend local events and speak on behalf of Dogs on Deployment to potential media contacts
Code of a Military Pet Owner
I’m a US Military Member and pet owner. I promise to always have a plan for them. I promise never to abandon them. I promise to keep them healthy and vaccinated. I promise to spay or neuter them. * I promise to train and socialize them. I promise to love them as unconditionally as they love me. I promise to be a good pet owner while serving my country. I promise this.
Good Luck one and all!
Additional Contest Details:
How cold is too cold for my dog?Does my dog need a coat? Should I feed my dog more when it's cold?How can we get exercise when it's ugly outside?It happens with even the hardiest and furriest of our four-footed friends. Sometimes it’s just too darned cold to want to go outside.Even though they have built-in coats, [...]
The ever-expanding “holiday season” has been taking a lot of heat lately.Although 135.8 million people are expected to start their gift shopping Thanksgiving weekend, a research firm found last year that 65 percent of consumers “hate or dislike” it when stores start sales on Thanksgiving Day. So, people WILL go to fight the crowds for [...]
"And thy life be as sweet, and its last sunset sky Golden-tinted and fair as thy own Pumpkin pie!”John Greenleaf Whittier, American poet and anti-slavery activist, 1807-1892Is there anything as emblematic of harvest in America as a fragrant pumpkin pie, peachy as the sunset and sweet as childhood memories? The Lazy Dog Cookie Company is [...]
WholesalePet.com Launches Product with Local, Charitable FocusBy: Pet Age Magazine Staff September 21, 2016 "All-natural GIVE Treats come in three delicious vegan flavors: Peanut Butter, Pizza Crust and Sweet Potato. Heart-shaped GIVE Treats contain no wheat, corn or soy. Known for their ingredient integrity and quality control, Lazy Dog Cookie Co., was chosen as the contract supplier [...]
At The Lazy Dog Cookie Co., Inc., we firmly believe that the men and women protecting our country shouldn’t have to face the unbearable choice of having to give up their beloved pet while away on deployment.In 2015, we partnered with Dogs on Deployment, a national non-profit organization dedicated to providing an online network for [...]
The Lazy Dog Cookie Co., Inc. 3rd Place Award Winner at the Global Pet Expo 2016 New Products Showcase
Ballston Spa, NY May 11, 2016 – The Lazy Dog Cookie Co., Inc., Inc. announced they were awarded 3rd Place in the “Boutique” category for The Original Happy Birthday Pup-PIE for a Charming Boy & Darling Girl at the prestigious New Products Showcase at Global Pet Expo 2016 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida. Global Pet Expo is the [...]
Join Amy Augustine, the baker/owner of The Lazy Dog Cookie Co., Inc. as she launches her first children's book Hairiot Found Home on April 23, 2016 at Benson's Pet Center in Saratoga Springs, NY from 12pm - 3pm!You will be able to meet Amy and pick up your copy along with a box of Sniffer Nutters for just [...]
We love to spoil our dogs with people food, but the fact is that dog food is the safest and healthiest form of nutrition for your pet. Some human foods are unhealthy or downright unsafe for dogs as they are higher in sugar, toxins, chemicals, and salt – all of which can lead to obesity [...]
Through a common love of dog and country, the Lazy Dog Cookie Co. Inc. and Dogs on Deployment are partnering to launch “Operation Drool Overload,” a delicious, peanut butter and molasses-flavored grain free dog treat. A portion of the proceeds from every box of Operation Drool Overload purchased will benefit Dogs on Deployment and their [...]